More and more people are running with a metronome to help improve their technique. Below I set out how runners are using our Metronome Beats app to help them improve their running form and shorten their stride.
Using a metronome can help with two common running problems:
– You can use it to maintain a steady rhythm and pace
– It can help you to overcome a tendency to overstride by enabling you to increase the number of steps that you take for a given pace.
A metronome will beep at a constant rate per minute when you are running. Matching every step you take to the metronome sound will help you to synchronise your leg movements, run at a steady pace, and improve your running form. By using a metronome regularly you can also easily track your stride rate (number of steps you take per minute) and increase it gradually to shorten your stride length. If this is your first go with a metronome, below are a few pointers on how to use it.
– Start by running at your usual long distance running pace on a fairly flat course. After a few minutes turn on the metronome and start to adjust it until it matches your current stride rate (i.e. it beeps every time one of your feet lands). Metronome Beats has easy controls for doing this. You can either move the scroll wheel until the metronome matches your running tempo or tap on the metronome with every stride you take
– Run for about 10 minutes ensuring your stride is in line with the beep, then note down the rate recorded
– Practice and run at this stride rate with the metronome for a week to ensure that you are running an even and steady pace
– Slowly start to increase your rate week by week. It is suggested that 180 strides per minute is an optimal rate to work towards. However, everyone is different, and it is important that you don’t overdo it. The aim is to slowly increase your stride rate so that you see an active difference.
If you are worried about the noise, you can use Metronome Beats in Vibrate mode, or use it with headphones!
You can download the Metronome Beats Android App from the Play store.